Welcome to Year 4!
In Year 4, we support our children to Work Hard and Be Kind. All children are encouraged to develop as independent, resilient and reflective learners through the use of Learning Gem Powers.
Our curriculum is enriching, meaningful and active so that our children can become fully immersed in their learning. The children learn through a series of well-planned and sequenced enquiries to engage children in their broad range of learning opportunities. You will find out about our curriculum through our termly topic map.
These are the kinds of learning opportunities you can look forward to this year:
- Being authors, we will read quality texts to inspire narrative and non-fiction writing. For example, we will use Nour’s Secret Library by Wafa Tarnowska to help us to understand characters’ feelings. We will write a new chapter and a newspaper article based on the book.
- Being geographers, we will study local, global and contrasting localities. This will include South America and Peru as well as the Southeast of England and London.
- Being historians, we will discover what life was like living as an Anglo-Saxon and Viking. We will look at their way of life as well as their Gods. When we study the Mayan civilisation later in the year, we will make comparisons between the beliefs and day to day life of each civilisation.
- Being artists, we will use a variety of media to explore line, colour, texture, tone, pattern, shape and form. We will use clay during our study of 3D forms.
- Being Philosophers, we will study Buddhism and Christianity. We will look at the main beliefs of each religion and some key stories.