Welcome to Year 1
In Year 1, we support our children to Work Hard and Be Kind. All children are encouraged to develop as independent, resilient and reflective learners through the use of Learning Gem Powers.
Our curriculum is enriching, meaningful and active so that our children can become fully immersed in their learning. The children learn through a series of well-planned and sequenced enquiries to engage children in their broad range of learning opportunities. You will find out about our curriculum through our termly topic map.
These are the kinds of learning opportunities you can look forward to this year:
- Being authors and innovating fiction texts to make them our own, like changing the characters and building materials in the Three Little Pigs.
- Being scientists and exploring weather patterns throughout the year, going on walks each season to identify key features of that season and how it affects us. We will become weather reporters and record a school weather forecast.
- Being historians and discovering the changes over time to our local area. We will sort artefacts into ‘then’ and ‘now’ categories to help us explore how and why certain items have changed.
- Being artists and imitating famous artists like Jasper Johns, making our own printing tools and creating unique wrapping paper.
- Being Designers and learning about threading and weaving, to plan and make our own dream catchers.