Year 9 Information
Welcome to King’s Oak Academy Upper School. Please see below key information regarding those staff that will be working closely with your child throughout the next academic year.
The Upper School Leadership Team 2023/24
Head of Upper School
On behalf of the staff here in the Upper School I would like to extend a very warm welcome.
Our overarching aim in the Upper School is to refine student skills whilst personalising their learning journey through KS4 and on into higher education or training. We pride ourselves on offering our students the best opportunities within their areas of study and beyond, building on students’ prior learning blocks whilst enhancing their cultural capital and expanding their transferable life skills set. Learning in the Upper School is contextualised to allow students to observe the real-life links to a topic and to secure connections between knowledge and application.
Our Core Student Values:
- Unapologetically Academic
- Relentlessly Fair
- Own your Behaviour
- Unswerving focus on destinations
Our staff are dedicated to working with, and supporting, the individual and offering the therapeutic care needed to excel. Whilst having clear, high expectations we do not want to lose the individualism of our students and encourage them to continue to express themselves and develop their passions, their beliefs and their interests.
The aim, to develop our students in to becoming proud, resilient, hardworking active members of our wider society, giving them the confidence to be their best self and to seize every opportunity available.
Assistant Principal – Head of Upper School
Head of Year 9
In Year 9, students will be moving into the Upper School as they begin the final part of their Key Stage 3 education and prepare for the final Key Stage 4 GCSE years.
Many of their lessons will be building towards their GCSE choices which will be taken in the spring. Closer to the time we will deliver an open evening that will enable you as a family to discuss the appropriate options that might be considered and how to go about opting for them.
Throughout the year there will be a series of assessment points that will help to inform these decisions.
As the students move into the upper school there will be a growing expectation that they demonstrate the maturity, positive behaviour and high expectations of more senior students within the academy.
I am really excited to be working with this group of students who have already demonstrated that they have some exceptional skills and qualities in their first two years with us at King’s Oak.
Head of Year 9
The Upper School Uniform 2022/23
Royal blue KOA polo shirt – KOA branded or unbranded – Iron on logos will be available to purchase from September.
- Navy blue KOA / unbranded round neck sweatshirt or cardigan – Iron on logos will be available to purchase from September.
- Hoodies / alternative jumpers / jackets are not acceptable uniform options.
- Charcoal grey tailored, regular fit trousers or shorts
- Shorts must be knee length and trousers must cover the ankle. Styles such as carrot, tapered, seven/eigths are not permitted.
- Jeans, cords, chinos, stretchy fabric, flares, tracksuit bottoms, leggings, sports shorts or zip pockets are not permitted.
- Monkhouse grey tailored school skirt only
- Plain black school shoes or trainers
- White/coloured logo-based trainers, boots, high heels are not acceptable forms of footwear.