Welcome to Year 1 at King’s Oak Academy – the Acorn. In year 1, we are now moving onto key stage one and this is such an exciting time. Some of the learning highlights in Year 1 include:
- Being authors and immersing ourselves into the story of Traction Man and inventing our own super hero character.
- Being geographers and exploring our local area. We will create giant maps of where we live and 3D models of our houses. This links with our forest school sessions where we will toast marshmallows and sit around the campfire.
- Being historians and discovering the changes over time to our local area. We will explore lots of interesting artefacts from the past.
- Being artists and exploring with different media to see what happens when we mix colours together! We use artistic language like ‘primary colours’ and ‘secondary colours’ to explain what we’ve learnt.
- Being Philosophers – we will be learning about others’ beliefs across the world. We will try to persuade Mrs Thorn to help us to look after our school.
If government guidelines allow, children in Year 1 will get the opportunity to go on a local area walk and visit the zoo.
Please see our termly topic map for a more detailed look at what we will be learning each term.
Our teaching team is:
Maple Class: Mrs Whiteford (Mon-Weds) & Miss Joss (Weds-Fri)
Willow Class: Mrs Bartlett